Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Let Me Tell You about Cecil

 Cecil and I got married after knowing each other for 2 1/2 years.   Just the other week I realized I was very much sexually harassed ... by him!   It wasn't called sexual harassment way back in the late 70's.  We both worked at Trumbull Memorial Hospital, he fixed things, I worked at the snack bar so I made his lunch when he wanted a burger.  He usually wanted a burger.  At some point I got a bad ear infections and actually lost my hearing for 2 weeks.  

I stayed with my mom and dad for a few days because my sister, we lived together, was afraid someone got me when I walked home after work.  I don't remember ever walking home alone.  Someone in maintenance or security would walk me home.  My apartment was across the street.  Did I mention Cecil worked in maintenance.  By now I'm over the sexual harassment.  I was uncomfortable when it happened.

I was 18 - what did I know - right.  I liked him.  He was cute, he was an older man, almost 30 at the time, also married but I didn't know that at this time. Cecil was a wonderful man.  He had a beard, a very well-kept beard and mustache.   He sure looked good to me. 

Anyway, He and I started writing notes while at work, this is when and while I had the ear infection.  Remember I couldn't hear.  I did have to work.  Rent, utilities, groceries.   I did have to work.  He wrote down his order, everyone wrote their order, but Cecil started to add a personal note.

His personal notes became letters.  I still have those letters.  I now stayed after work the 2 hours until he got off work.  We sat in the cafeteria and talked and wrote notes back and forth.  We learned a lot about each other, kinda.  We got a little closer.  This part stops here. 

Ok, We've been married for 41 years.  Together we've been through some things.  But now that Cecil has finally retired our work has gotten real.   I can't walk as far as the next room.  Cecil has Cancer.  The list of my troubles is long.  I think it starts with ... I'm fat ... I probably have all the things that go with being obese.  

The reason for this Blog about Cecil is because he is so nice.  He takes his vows very seriously.  He does everything around here.  I mean everything.  I told him this bothers me, and he quoted the part of the vows "for better, for worse".  What do I do with that.  I can't be mad.  So he finished his lymphoma treatment.  He comes home does the laundry, the dishes, cooks dinner, and he takes care of me.  Our daughters do help.  Missy sits with me and waits for me to shower, she makes sure I don't fall.  Sara does everything and anything she things needs done.  Sometimes we actually let her know what we need, sometimes we don't so she does some shopping for us and brings it over.  Sara and Beth have children in school and worry that after their Daddy had a chemo treatment he was immune deficient and he could catch whatever their kids bring home.  So they do ask questions about how to help.  Those are our 3 girls.  

Cecil's real name is not Cecil.  I'm ending with this and telling you that's a blog for another day.  His momma named him David.   It's a good story.   I have tried to call him David, or Dave, or even Davey.  NOOOOOOOO, it's just felt weird, and it does each time I try.

Talk to you later

 - marcene 













No comments:

Post a Comment